Monday, March 26, 2018

Tom Petty had it right...The waiting...UGH!

I did name this blog The Waiting is the Hardest Part for a reason...

I truly need to remember why I created this blog. For me to vent discuss my feelings and insecurities about my writing and the steps I take toward publishing.

It's a perfect place to just info-dump all this angst and anxiety that I've been harboring since I started sending out the queries in the beginning of February.

To date...12 sent; 9 rejections; 3 haven't responded.

I have a short list of other places to send to, but I'm holding off for a bit. No, I don't know why. Probably cause I'm disappointed that no one likes my mashed potatoes. :)

This is when anxiety can get the better of me. If I even get a small nibble, I might assume that that's all I'll ever get, and jump at the slightest chance, instead of waiting for the right one to come along.

It's not easy. None of this is easy. Waiting. Pining. Wishing. Dreaming. Begging. Sniffling. Hoping.

Why we put ourselves through this? I have no idea.

So, I try to work on other things. I've started to write down a few story ideas. I like them, but I'm not real passionate about them yet.

I really need to fall in love with my guy character. Is that shallow? I need to love him and want to see him suffer all at the same time. :)

Meanwhile, I'll keep moving forward. That's what we do.

What are you up to? Are you doing what you need to be doing?

6 comments:

  1. Sorry you've not had a nibble yet. Maybe a little gravy for those mashed potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the waiting. But at least you received 9 rejections. Most publishers are too busy to even send that! But there's an even worse part to this. It's when an agent requests to read the rest of your manuscript. Your excitement is right up with hope, and you can feel your success starting to creep in! And then they don't get back to you, so you 'kindly' chase, only to be told it was good but didn't quite fit their market. Ugh!! The drop from that is harder, but as writers do, we pick ourselves back up, dust ourselves off and carry on. Good luck with the rest of your submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get what you're saying. And I need to love my characters, too, even if I am going to torture them later ;) My mantra? Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you on the waiting part, although, for me it's a more personal, family issue, but it still sucks having to wait for people to get back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sucks to wait. I try not to keep those who query me waiting more than 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely positively not doing what I need to be doing (although not even positive what that is)...hoping to try to accomplish some of what I want!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.