Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A glitch in the matrix.

True story:
I walk to the mailbox yesterday and find my own SASE sitting on top of the other mail.
It takes me a moment to recall where I might have sent one that I would be expecting one back.
Well, really, the only one I sent was with my submission to HQN Blaze back in June of 2010. 
But, here is the rub...I already received a 'no thanks' letter back from them in October of 2010.

Confused? Let's see if I can clear it up some.

I'm not sure where my submission has been all this time but I originally mailed it to NYC but never heard from anyone. I called NYC and they told me to call Canada. I called Canada they didn't know where it was and asked me to email my submission. I got a letter back saying no thank you and now my original submission has just come back from Canada.

To make a long story short...too late...they don't want my book either.

I get that I'm supposed to be 'pleased' that someone took the time to write me a letter with some personal feedback, but not when it couldn't possibly pertain to my story.

I'm not trying to be evil here, but how can they write that my story doesn't have a 'sexy hook' when all they read was a two page synopsis?

[pause for effect]
I just went back to read my synopsis. They're right, I didn't write a sexy synopsis.

But that doesn't mean the book isn't sexy!

In fact, I'm starting to wonder if my book is even a romance novel.
It's got romance. It's got sex. It's got drama and tension and humor. But it also has a little violence and a hostage situation.

I don't freakin' know. I just don't know.

On another note...read this post yesterday.
Very funny and true and rude and blunt. Not for the faint of heart.

I did write briefly the other day. It felt pretty good. Hopefully there is a break in my future. 

5 comments:

  1. ha ha you did learn something from the feedback afterall, but the funniest bit is that you got the feedback months and months after the rejection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooof, The terribleminds post just hurt. There there... there's truth there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna - I know. The letters were from 2 different people at HQN. I don't know if I should feel good that 2 people read it or bad that 2 people didn't like it.

    Anon-I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, twice would hurt me too. I had all I could take with my "your story is too convoluted for a Harlequin Intrigue."

    Thank you for sharing the Terribleminds. That's a reality slap. I may just have to save that to balance me out. It'll make me work harder.

    Cheers. Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna - Ouch. I feel your pain on that one. - terribleminds was pretty tough to take but funny.
    Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.