Monday, January 17, 2011

To share or not to share...

Erggg. Arggg.


So, feeling better today. Well, mentally, not physically. My son decided to share his cold with me so I am busy trying to fight that off. So far just annoying not evil.
But, I'm feeling better about writing. Mostly because of the blogfest I ran into the other day. Just when I thought I had run out of writing mojo I felt compelled to write that paragraph.
I'm not sure it's enough mojo to write a whole chapter right now but it was enough to remind me that I didn't choose to write stories, I just write them.
I didn't say to myself one day 'hey, I want to be a writer and get rejected all the time on my quest to be published', I just felt the need to write.
I'm not an amazing writer but I think that I am a good writer.
I may never be a best-selling author but that was never my intention anyway.
Getting published just seemed like the next step.
Self publishing is always an option but it could be really complicated.
I have been thinking about posting chapters of the book on this blog. I could go through each chapter again, read it, edit it and then post it.
It's a risk. Opening myself to criticism but also to helpful comments.
I mean what is the purpose of continuing in any way if I don't share? What is the purpose of having that damn book if no one reads it?

So, what do you guys think? Would you like to read about Colin and Riley?

8 comments:

  1. It's a great idea to post excerpts of your work. Doing full chapters might be too much, but a page to two to wet our appetites is a good way to get feedback without giving it all away.

    Leave us wanting more.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon. Personally, I would have you hang on to it a bit longer. Don't get me wrong, I would love to read what you wrote, I always do, but giving your book away is kind of heart wrenching. Don't give up your quest for publishing yet.

    Hang in there Heather. Sorry if I come across as a spoil sport but I had a bit too much sugar today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael - I think you are suggesting that I be a tease! I guess I could handle that.

    Murees - Not a spoil sport and I'm glad you stated your opinion.
    Right after I wrote this I saw that Amazon is doing it's 2011 Breakthrough Novel Award contest...http://www.amazon.com/b?node=332264011.
    I'll have to check into the submission guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a paragraph here or there is never a bad idea and who knows that might be your path to publication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never know what's gonna happen when you reach out and share. That's the beauty of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanna and Liz - Thank you. I would have to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. L.A. - Thank you. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to post it. I do think it would be fun to share some and see what you guys all think.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.