Sunday, May 8, 2011

Complaint Department is closed for the holiday.

Thanks for listening to me complain...again.

I'm pretty sure that was a bit of anger, depression, jealousy, fear and sorrow all rolled up together there.

I have been reading.

I had bought three used paperbacks from Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. Darkfever, Bloodfever and Faefever. I liked them so I went to the library and grabbed the final two books in the series, Dreamfever and Shadowfever. I have almost finished the last book.

I have very strong feelings about the books from both sides, the writer and the reader.

I'm incredibly jealous as a writer. The books are interesting, entertaining and they so thoroughly hooked me that I'm reading into the wee hours of the morning.

The romance is really secondary to the story which is hard for me, as a reader, but it works for her. 

As usual I empathize more for the male main character than the female. I fall for the gorgeous brooding man all the time. His unspoken heartbreak breaks mine.

Then, while watching an old episode of Bones there is this song at the end of the show that is so haunting and intense that I have to look it up. It's called Low is a Height by Great Northern.

So, now I am obsessed with this eerily captivating song that has become the soundtrack while I'm caught up reading these powerful books about the Fae world with this all-consuming tormented hotness personified guy.

And then, I get yet another rejection email.

I'm not surprised that I whined like a little girl.

Thoughts about my writing are running the gamut. I've thought about re-writing the entire beginning of my finished book (cause that is all the agents/publishers base their decisions on and they apparently hate it) to scrapping the entire idea of ever being published.

I know we all feel this way some times but I'm just befuddled.

It was really cool of you guys to try to break my slump though (even the smacking, Tara!).

I've said it before and I will say it again...this community is really wonderful.

Now...if you guys could just find me a critique partner/beta reader, that doesn't chew me up and spit me out, to tell me if I should go back to learning basket weaving.

Don't laugh...I made that!












Happy Mother's Day.

10 comments:

  1. I think it's always worth having another look at the start of your book to see if you can make it more engaging. You're right, that's what agents look at (even if that isn't really a fair reflection of the book as a whole). Keep at it.
    regards,
    mood
    Chapter One Analysis: Hunger Games

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the "Beat Yourself Up" club. *sigh* We are all members at one time or another. The key is to get it out of your system, take a good, deep, cleansing breath, and then keep moving.

    There are a ton of great books out there that never would have seen the light of day if their authors gave up. Stephen King's "Carrie" is among them. So is "Lust for Life" by Irving Stone. Rejected 16 times it was finally published and sold 20-25 million copies.

    Best advice: Find a writers' group with members you trust. You write romance...do you belong to RWA? They have critique groups all over the place and you may find one that way. You are smart to find a beta reader who can be honest with you. Most importantly: Do. Not. Quit. Ever. But be willing to work at your craft until you perfect it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but how do you REALLY feel?
    i think you need to come out from behind your happy mask and let it all out (ha ha ha)
    you have an awesome voice in these posts, thats for SURE!
    i just read a post today about using more voice in query letters. i'm going to try that.
    so listen to the voice of inexperience here w/a grain of salt (and mixd metaphors):
    1) you will be rejected until you find the right agent, at least umpteen more times.
    2) dont give up! unless something better comes along... a wise agent (i assume shes wise because she is paid) said most authors do not get their first few books published. not encouraging, i know. but i get it. i will rewrite my first novel someday, i'm guerying my second. only the diligent get printed (or the famous, snookie? really?)
    chin up!
    HaPpY MoThErs DaY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - that basket is beautiful! Nothing wrong with being a basket weaver - it's harder than it looks! ;-)

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you're doing okay? I just skimmed your last post right now...

    This writing thang is so hard. Like, SO hard. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mood - Yeah. That's what I just might have to do. I'm so used to it that it will be hard to rewrite it but I'm tired of it being ignored.

    Lisa - Thanks for all the sound advice. I'm not a member of RWA. I have trouble justifying joining. I'm warped. I appreciate the visit and you taking the time to help.

    Tara - Ha! Sure you didn't miss your calling as a comedian? Always trying to make me laugh by poking me with a stick!
    Thank you.

    HMG

    ReplyDelete
  7. K. - I know it! I love that basket.

    Talli - Thank you. I'm hanging. Not sure what for or why yet but I'm hanging. Thanks for checking in.
    HMG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, that first chapter (the first page, really) is so critical. It must provide a hook and give the reader an immediate sense of your voice. You'll get there. Fear not. Keep writing.

    P.S. And I love the basket!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing is hard. But you have a finished book. That is a great accomplishment in itself.

    Basket weaving is good....busy hands make for activity in the imagination. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz - Thank you. You are right. I always liked it but I guess it doesn't have the right stuff...yet!
    I learned to make that basket at a library program. It was amazing but hard work. Love the way it turned out though.

    Ann - I appreciate that. Yes, I finished it...many times...and I may have to finish it again. ;)

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.