Thursday, August 12, 2010

Skip ahead...skip ahead...skip ahead...

My reading preferences are a lot like my music preferences. I'll listen to anything that has a good beat. I'm not terribly picky.

So, when it comes to books, I try to be open-minded. Although I prefer books with action and suspense as opposed to the ones that just make you think a lot.

I use books to escape thinking not to think more.

For the longest time I really thought I was going to write vampire/werewolf/shifter novels.
I still hope to write at least one.
Before the market was completely saturated I read every vampire/werewolf/shifter story I could get my hands on, romance or not.

I really like the Anita Blake series.
I just recently read another blog, Tessa's Blurb, that summed up some of what I was thinking about Laurell K. Hamilton's current books.
Warning: contains spoilers.
http://tessasblurb.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-review-bullet-by-laurell-k.html

Thank you, Tessa!

I realized after reading her blog that I was a few books behind in the series. Mostly because I don't get to read as much as I used to.
[And when I do it's all about research and defacing books! (Bad Heather!)]
I went to the library and checked out two of them yesterday and started to read.
Don't get me wrong, I still like LKH's writing. I do. But sometimes she is really long winded for me.
A lot like Anne Rice was getting in her vampire series.
And what bugs me a little is the repetitiveness. She will write about something that is going on in Anita's head and then re-hash it all in dialogue.
I get it.
I guess it's just my attention span these days but I can't take it. I'm too used to instant gratification. Sue me.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Skip ahead, skip ahead, skip ahead.
So, that's what I did. I skipped ahead.
Bad reader, no cookie!

I know some people are turned off by her other-worldly abilities and having sex with multiple monsters, sometimes at the same time, but it doesn't bother me.
I don't think I would be able to write scenes like that myself. I'm too white bread.
But, I like to read them.
I like that LKH makes it critical.
There is no other choice but to have really kinky sex with this stranger in front of a whole group of other strangers and some of my current lovers who will hate me even more now or like me even more now or everyone I know will die. And a puppy.
Well, hell. And he's gorgeous and has a big package? Damn.

Okay, so I exaggerate a little bit. Actually, not that much.

Thank goodness for fiction.

It was an editing kind of day. I wrote a bunch for the last few days and wanted to make sure it all sounded good. Then I sent it off to my peeps to see if they will like it.

Skip ahead....



1 comment:

  1. LOL I see we're absolutely on the same page. I like reading her books, I really do, but amongst all the (lovely) (if ever kinky-er) sex and beautiful (oh no Anita has to have sex with ALL of them) men, the plot kind of gets lost.

    Sex + plot that is not sex = happy Tessa.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.