Monday, April 3, 2017

4-3-2017 #AtoZChallenge - B is for Blood Donation and the Bone Marrow Registry!




Everything, Nothing & Stuff In-between- Random stuff from my brain

B is for Blood Donation and the Bone Marrow Registry!

There's a few organizations that I always support because they're so important.

How about you? Want to make a difference in your community? Want to save lives? You can.

How?

Donate Blood
Join the Bone Marrow Registry

Can't donate yourself? Volunteer to hold a drive or share information about drives in your area.

Why?
 

-4.5 million Americans receive blood transfusions each year.
-40,000 pints are transfused each day in the United States.
-Car accident and trauma victims may need as many as 50 or more red cell transfusions.
-Severe burn victims may need as many as 20 platelet transfusions.
-Bone marrow transplant patients may require platelets and red cells from more than 100 donors.



Where?

Red Cross
Community Blood Services
New York Blood Center
Be The Match


And finally...
Register to be an organ donor

-119,000+ = Current number of men, women and children on the national transplant waiting list.
-Each year, the number of people on the waiting list continues to grow, while the number of donors and transplants grows slowly.
-95% of U.S. adults support organ donation but only 48% are actually signed up as donors.
-One Donor Can Save Eight Lives


 Not all of us can run into a burning building or carry a badge, but it doesn't mean we don't want to save lives!

See you tomorrow.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Heather .. an excellent 'B' - I am on the organ list ... sadly the blood donation section I wish I'd started earlier ... not sure why I didn't. But what a great statistical post - and such a necessary one ...

    .. and one donor can save 8 lives - interesting again ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I didn't have a thing about needles...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such important information and sobering statistics. I'm on the organ donor list, but will have to check out the bone marrow registry. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a regular blood donor since I was 18. I'm good at it. Good veins and I bleed out in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get B post! I'm a blood donor and an organ donor. Plus my whole body goes to science after I pass away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I had surgery when I was younger, I had some friends donate blood for me, and I donated for myself. The key to donating blood...eat and make sure you are very hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and so very important! I look forward to your future "top of the head" ramblings.

    DB McNicol, author & traveler
    Theme: Oh, the places we will go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An excellent subject for your post today! Best of luck with the challenge. I've done the random stuff from my brain theme almost every year I've participated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. gosh i cannot believe i did not know about the bone marrow registry. thanks for sharing!!


    Joy @ The Joyous Living

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lot of people don't realize it, but there are a lot of families who lose a loved one to overdose and donate their loved ones organs. It is sad to say but that may be the one good thing that comes out of this tragedy. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am signed up as an organ donor and gave blood for years. Hadn't heard of the bone marrow program before. Will check into it.

    http://poetryfromthelanai.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great causes to support! I give blood, but have not made the commitment to be a donor. I have some fear less would be done for me if I was in a life threatening situation.
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Heather. And I can relate. I never had the A to Z organized ahead of time, either. Every year I swore it would be different, and every year I winged it.

    You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm winging it too but that's nothing new really. Loved today's post it held a lot of meaning and an important message but I can't really see Stormy getting on board and wanting to "donate" any part of himself???? Keep up the good work. Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh my brother used to donate blood for $60 a month. Helped him meet ends meet.theglobaldig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.